Spring Break Recap

Wow. I think I might drop dead. Spring break is not for the weak, my friends. Monday afternoon we got out to fly kites. I told Monkey to take her kites and walk into the field. Instead she let it go right under a tree and spent the next 45 minutes untangling it. It's a good thing she's a Monkey and likes to hang out in trees.










































Tuesday the big 3 and I went roller skating with some friends in the afternoon while Tiger slept. Have any of you ever tried to explain why we call it a skating "rink" to a four year old? It's not easy.




At 4:30 the Dude called to ask,

What's the plan?

Which means,

What's for dinner?

I said,

Oh, I was about to get to that.

Which means,

Dinner? Oh yea, that's my responsibility. Hmmmm....

So he took us to Chilis!  Score one for dad saving dinner time!



Wednesday we spent the morning working at the church and the kids ran around with their friends. Big empty churches are a fun place for little kids to play. I remember doing that as a kid when my mom worked at church.


Thursday I took the clan to Wichita to the Exploration Place which is just a big science museum. We lasted three hours, beating our best time by an hour and a half! Woo-hoo! This was our big Spring Break stay-cation activity, and it did not disappoint!







We got home at 2:50. The two littles had been asleep for about 30 minutes... not really an adequate naptime when they are used to 2.5 hours each day! But Monkey had to be at piano at 3:30 so there really wasn't a choice. We stayed outside and cleaned our the van. Took Monkey to piano, came home for 1 hour, took dinner to a friend who just had a baby (I had the forethought to wake up early and put a double batch of chili in the crock-pot), came home and crashed until daddy got home at 7:30pm. I'm pretty sure this is the day that did me in.


Friday I planned to spend the whole day in the kitchen making Navajo fry bead. I'll tell you why in a sec. So I got up early and started frying.... three hours later I was still frying. The kids just got a good 'ol "go play" morning at the house. :) When everyone was about to rip each others' heads off we paused for lunch. At naptime, Bear helped me make French bread and then their friends came over to play for a bit which always helps. You mommas out there with lots of kids driving you nuts. Or even just one. Try inviting some friends over, your momma friend will love you forever and it will actually be bit of a break for you!


After naps we took the car to the shop and walked to the library. A bit windy, but sunny. We couldn't decide if we were hot or cold. At the library, each child picked two books and we sat on a carpet and read them, then they each got some computer time. We got back to the house right at dinner time, in fact, the Dude beat us home! But that's okay, because I had the forethought to put roast and potatoes and carrots in the oven 4 hours ago! Score one for mom and planning ahead!


Saturday. Another busy day. We dropped the kids off with their sleepy aunt and uncle to be spoiled for the morning and the Dude and I headed to church for a 4 hour meeting. Sounds like we got the raw end of the deal, but I left encouraged and refreshed. I love that kind of meeting! Plus, my pastor always supplies ample amounts of really good coffee. So there's that.

The afternoons agenda was more fry bread and kitchen prep. Chopping tomatoes and lettuce, and scooping 50 cups of icecream for a church-wide meal at church in the morning. Monkey came with me and helped chop lettuce. That girl will do just about anything for 1-on-1 with momma. I love her.

By this time I was wondering if I could even drive home. Exhaustion was an understatement. Thankfully, the Dude took care of supper with grilled steaks and dogs and we ate outside in the breezy sunshine. Then I went to bed :)


What a week, I'm tired after just typing that! and I'm sure you're tired of reading! So I'll get back to you about Sunday, which housed a whole week of activities in itself.


Thanks for hanging with me! Here is my sum-up. After so many activities I am left with gratitude for the dreamy life I am living. My God is good. Constantly teaching me through His Word, applying it to our goings-on minute-by-minute and showing us mercy after mercy. My kids are full of energy and excitement. They are eager to spend time as a family and just enjoy  life together and for that I am truly blessed. My husband is hard working and selfless, creating a nurturing environment where his clan can just run around having fun all week long.